- 1 1/4 lb Brussels sprouts (1 to 1 1/2 inch), cut in half (5 cups)*
- 6 slices bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1 large onion, finely chopped (1 cup)
- 1 clove chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup half-and-half
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- Heat oven to 350°F. In 3-quart saucepan, place Brussels sprouts; add enough water just to cover. Heat to boiling; boil 6 to 8 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and return to saucepan; set aside.
- Meanwhile, in 10-inch skillet, cook bacon over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp. Remove bacon with slotted spoon; drain on paper towels and set aside. Drain all but 1 tablespoon bacon fat from skillet.
- Add butter to bacon fat in skillet. Heat over medium-high heat until butter is melted. Add onion; cook 2 to 3 minutes, stirring frequently, until crisp-tender. Add flour, thyme and pepper; cook and stir until well blended. Gradually stir in half-and-half and bouillon granules. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly; boil and stir 1 minute. Remove from heat; stir in Parmesan cheese.
- Pour sauce over Brussels sprouts in saucepan; mix gently. Spoon into 2-quart casserole. Bake uncovered 25 to 30 minutes, sprinkling with crumbled bacon and Cheddar cheese for last 10 minutes of baking, until hot and bubbly.
*Remove any discolored outer leaves and trim discolored portion of stem ends of Brussels sprouts.
Cheesy Bacon Green Beans: omit Brussels sprouts. In step 1, place 1 bag (1 lb) frozen cut green beans and 2 tablespoons water in 2-quart microwavable casserole. Cover and microwave on High 5 minutes; drain and set aside. Continue as directed.
Don't let anyone give you any attitude--this vegetable with the funny little name delivers big on flavor! Brussels sprouts look and taste like miniature green cabbage and they're cute and fun to boot.
recipe slightly adapted from: bettycrocker.com