- 1 loaf of challah bread, cut into cubes (or slices)
- 1 small can of pumpkin puree
- 2 cups of whole milk
- 2 cups of half and half
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup sugar
- sprinkling of cinnamon and nutmeg, to taste
- powdered sugar, optional
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place cubed bread on a baking sheet and bake until toasted and browned (10-15 mins).
- Combine half and half, milk and sugar, add pumpkin, eggs, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Transfer bread cubes to a 9x13x2 casserole dish and cover with milk mixture.
- Toss all the bread to coat.
- Wrap with plastic wrap and allow bread to absorb milk in the refrigerator overnight.
- The next day bake in a 375 degree oven for about 1 hour or until all the liquid is absorbed.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- Serve warm, room temperature or cold.